Georgia, six miles southwest of Atlanta, August 23, 1864

To Andrew Larson:

I am well to date, but in a very uncertain position, bombshells and bullets are flying around like wild birds. If it should be that I will fall by same, I will say a few words concerning my money.

I wish that my relatives in Norway would in time get it, but not as long as the gold is so costly, expenses will be too high, but let them be in America until the gold will be cheap.

The money will draw higher interest here than in Norway. In U.S. bonds or with farmers with security, and the interest could be paid in gold and sent to Norway.

About the money invested in our farm there is no hurry. If you intend to buy it you can have it rent free for three years.

I also wish that you later will gather together all mine in one sum, and if they in Norway would not need it badly, then just let them have the interest on it sent to them, which I believe is the best.

To send money or a draft to Norway now, more than half of the amount would go for expenses.

Written by Bernt Olmanson, Co. E, 2nd Reg. Minnesota.

The address to Norway - Charel T. Yttredal, Via New York & Hamborg, Pr. Aalesund, Dallebo P.O. Europe, Norway, Nordalens Prestegjeld.

The 2nd Minnesota is all right yet. Bombshells tore in pieces many of our tents yesterday in the battle, and the cannons are still in use and will keep up for a long time yet.

The bullets are whistling around my tent so I must quit for this time.

If it should happen that I lose my life in this war, then send this letter to my relatives in Norway so they can see the reason why there is a delay in getting my money sent to them, but if I live then I will take care of it myself.